Building Dream Home Day 9



My next project is making a headboard for our bed and 2 nightstands for our bedroom. I was able to get 2 doors like the one in the picture above from my Daddy's house. I hired a wood worker, Keith,  to make them for me. 

Because the doors' panels were not equal sizes on the top and bottom parts of the doors, we had to come up with a different idea. I recommended we cut the doors and use the two upper parts of the doors

for the headboard. The two lower parts will be used for night stands. 

For the headboard, Keith will add some additional wood and a "frame" to the door parts. I showed Keith The picture to the right to give him an idea for a design. 

Because of the size of the top of the doors and the size of a king size bed, additional wood would need to be added. Also, the headboard will be about 2 inches larger than the mattress. I think this will look great when we get the pillows, bedspread, etc. on the bed. 

The original picture I sent to Keith as an idea for the nightstands, required additional pieces of a door. I told him I would think about it and come up with an idea. 

I begin to look for ideas online and developed this idea. 


 The top of the nightstands will be the bottom part of the doors. A friend has some old wood and I am going out to her house to look for wood to use for the bottom shelf and crossbeams that will be on the end of the night stands. I will put a decorative basket on the bottom shelf for us to put our "stuff" in by our bed. 

The headboard and nightstands will be painted the same color. 

I will share photos of  the finished items. I am excited about this idea. What do you think? 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Dream Home Day 3

Overview of Dream Home Blog

Building Dream Home Day 1