Overview of Dream Home Blog

house-dream-plans

My husband and I are building our dream home in Oxford, Mississippi. A former client and forever friend, Meg Habasevich, will be advising us along the way. Periodically, I will have guest posts by various experts. 

furnishings
When my husband said we could build a home, I began to dream of what it could be. I thought about my Daddy's old house and how I would love to have some of the items from it - especially the mantel, farmer's sink, and claw-foot tub. A close friend, Becky contacted the current owner and she agreed to let me get those items. I was able to get a couple of light fixtures, the mantel, and the farmer's sink. The bathtub was gone. 

These old furnishings have very strong sentimental value to me. That mantel is where all important papers were put. It was a big part of our family life. The one little light fixture has a little thing that hangs down in the center. This is where my mother would hang an outfit that needed quick drying by the heater. (we didn't have a dryer) 

After that I began to collect items I love and getting rid of furniture I no longer wanted. Friends also gave me pieces of furniture that I could refinish or have upholstered. You will notice that I love antiques and have strong ties to most of the items. 

One of the decorating problem areas for me is I like deep, vibrant colors. I know the decorating trend is more pastels and light colors. Also, most decorators don't want to use old furniture. I would like to find a comfortable blend with new and old for it to truly represent me and what I love. 

My basic color for the new house is blue. I want to use various shades of blues. I also want to be able to use most of the items I have such as Peter's Pottery that I have collected, magnolia items in the kitchen, and paintings and/or pictures I have. 

One of the major areas is the downstairs open area of the living area, kitchen, and dining area. I want it to flow but each space be distinctive. 

You will also notice that I removed the book shelves in the corner of the living area. I also removed the dog condos under the stair case and hope to make that area my little office with a Bookcase murphy door concealing it. 

This is the beginning of an adventure and I will refer to Pinterest boards that I have created as I progress. My pinterest account is https://www.pinterest.com/pinterestprov/. I kept my old account from my Pinterest account management days and it is still a work in progress. 

Let the adventures begin. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Building Dream Home Day 3

Building Dream Home Day 1