Building Dream Home Day 3

home-decor-living area
Today I decided to look at the living area. There are so many questions to ask. Sometimes I feel like I am obsessed and driving my friends crazy with questions and stories and we haven't even begun construction. 
If you look at the above layout, you will see the layout of the living area which flows into the kitchen area. For a image of the entire first floor you can visit my Pinterest House Exterior Look board.  However, I want to focus on the living area only at this point.

If you look at my Pinterest Living Area board you can see furniture, etc. that I have already collected. I also wrote about each item in the description area to give a person a bit of background about the item. For example, the fireplace is from the Memphis Art Museum and I wrote that in the fireplace description. 

As indicated on the diagram above the TV will sit on a cabinet on the right wall. The problem with this is that it will take up so much wall space and limit places for pretty pictures. I had considered putting the TV in the corner opposite the fireplace but not sure how that would work. 

I would like to have my seating area situated so that individuals can enjoy the fireplace and watch the TV if they desire. The layout for the seating I had thought about using is the couch facing the TV with some type of sofa table behind it. Then I would place the love seat facing inward on one side and the 2 chairs facing the love seat. Not sure how well that would work. The 2 chairs  and ottoman will be redone in maybe a robin's egg blue. 

In addition to that seating arrangement, I am thinking there needs to be a chair by the fireplace. I have a rocker that I do not have an image of at this point in time. I was thinking maybe it could go beside the fireplace. 

I think the grandfather clock might work well on the wall at the bottom of the staircase. I was looking at the measurements there and I think it will fit. We love our grandfather clock. 

I guess I should have mentioned the walls throughout the downstairs will be some shade of white. We are thinking of going with white oak for the floors.  This will be throughout the first floor because of the open floor concept. 

In summary, my main questions are: 
  • How do I place furniture to best accommodate guests and allow for flow throughout? 
  • What do you think of the material colors for the chairs? 
  • Any other suggestions   to make this a beautiful home?
Tomorrow, day 247, I will post recommendations by professional interior designer, Meg Habasevich. Be sure to check back and see if you agree with Meg. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overview of Dream Home Blog

Building Dream Home Day 1