Building Dream Home Day 8
Intro
While waiting on approval to begin building, Ron and I decided to begin working on all our projects. First project is the mantel from my Daddy's old house.
The mantel will go in the master bedroom with a fake wood-burning stove in front of it. Some people probably wonder why this mantel is so important to me. Some of the reasons are
- Like having a piece of my parents with me
- Love the structure of the mantel
- Success - didn't win the battle but won the war
Having a piece of my parents with me
My mother passed away in 1984 and my Dad in 1998. I am orphan. It doesn't matter how old you are after both parents are deceased - you still have a void there. This mantel brings back so many memories from where my Daddy always kept the "bills" to pay to the nails still there that I hung garland at Christmas time. There are times I will just lean over on the mantel and hug the mantel and that action gives me such heartwarming comfort that nothing else could do.
After my Daddy passed away, (MPS) my parents' son (brother) decided that everything was his. Don't get me wrong -my Daddy didn't have a whole lot but it was the principle of the thing. MPS made me feel like my parents did not want me to have anything and he missed an opportunity to really be a brother to me. That's another story for another blog.
Love the mantel structure
Growing up in this house, I always admired the mantel. I loved the old mirror at the top, the colums on the side, the cute design on the front. We didn't have a lot of money but somehow this mantel made me feel like we had a little luxury.
Success
Most people don't know the whole story behind MPS and I. If they did - they would understand so much better the reasons I feel as I do and wrote him out of my life. That is why I say this mantel represents success. MPS may have always tried to make me feel inferior and that I deserved nothing of my parents but getting this mantel represented success over this. Success in acquiring something of my parents that I can hold onto and treasure forever and he cannot take it from me. He cannot take the mantel and he cannot take the love my parents had for me and I for them.
Summation
That is why this mantel is so important to me. I just wish my parents could have lived longer and enjoyed all my successes and happiness with me. I know they would be so proud of me. Now to begin building.


Lovely thoughts and beautiful mantle.
ReplyDelete